We're busy people with lots to take our attention, we often must carefully evaluate what we spend our time on. Our household doesn't have the appalling drain on free time of a television - a device I loathe, detest and abhor - but of course most do. Then there is work - and each year that seems to take a little more time than the previous year - family, looking after the house, garden & vehicles. Sports & hobbies take up what little time, if any, that remains.
There may also be something lacking in our national psyche here in New Zealand. I had an American friend who lived here for some years back in the '80's and he remarked to me that we often say - at least we did at that time - "I can't be bothered". We said it so much that he thought it one of our distinctive national sayings!
I read a while ago that most Christians do not share their faith with anyone mainly because they don't know how to go about it and are afraid they'll get asked a question they have no answer to.
Let me help:
1) make friends. You like people already so just make friends and pray that the topic of faith will come up. Look for the opportunity and don't feel guilty to mention Jesus - he's wonderful! You're not some fast-talking used car salesman trying to unload a clunker on a mug. You have the beautiful person of Jesus and the security of the love of God to share.
2) Even if you've only been a Christian a day you know more than the person you're talking to does about the matter because you've had at least one encounter with Jesus that proved to you he is real.
Don't over-think this stuff, you'll never do anything. Love people, pray for them and tell 'em about Jesus when it's appropriate. As the Apostle Paul said "we don't talk about ourselves, we talk about Jesus". Jesus can't fail to produce life.
So why take some of our valuable time to learn about the religion of Islam in particular? Well firstly we have more and more Muslims around us every day & God loves them and wants a relationship with them. David Wood provides this 5 minute video explaining why Christians in particular really need to invest some of our time in this field. He gives 5 reasons:~
- Islam is a massive religion which is growing rapidly;
- Muslims often have no idea what Christianity really is as they've never heard the truth about it;
- Many Muslims have been taught to challenge core Christian doctrines;
- Many Muslims can't take the Gospel seriously until their own beliefs have been challenged, and;
- people are right now converting to Islam based on false information about Islam
It's an important and fruitful area for us to invest our time.
If we can be bothered.