We just want a nice quiet life
Am I the only one who recognises that these people would not be returning to their countries of origin if their group hadn't been defeated on the battlefield? If they were victorious they would surely still be in their Caliphate right? Why wouldn't they be?
Now though, all the have to do is affect penitence & naivety and they will be welcomed home with open arms. Do note the numbers mentioned - c. 20,000. Twenty thousand. Those are just the ones known to MI5 already in Britain and do not include the returning IS jihadis. If years of pandering, programmes & money have not done the job why should we suppose yet more years of the same efforts will?
As I've said before, intern these people until the war is over. But giving them priority in housing & jobs? Who comes up with this stuff? Would you like to have your daughter work with one of these unrepentant murdering rapists? Or have your family live beside one? What affect might that have on other people waiting for housing & jobs? Mightn't this be inclined to increase tensions between the larger Muslim community and other communities? Or has nobody thought that far ahead?
There are some sane voices in this piece. I have a lot of respect for Col. Kemp, his advice comes from a wealth of experience. But frankly I don't know a better way to set up a never-ending progression of societal splintering & deadly attacks than this.
Outrage as ISIS jihadis to go to the ‘front of the queues for council houses and jobs’
COUNTER-TERRORISM experts have described Government proposals to re-intergrate extremists back into British society with offers of council homes and jobs as "mistaken" and tantamount to bribery.
By Ross Logan
Leaked plans for a scheme called Operation Constrain suggest putting returning jihadis at the front of the queue for social housing, and helping them into education or employment.
The project would reportedly target up to 20,000 extremists known to MI5, while Britons returning from former Islamic State strongholds in Syria would also be eligible.The nationwide programme is due to start next year, the Mail on Sunday reported.
Whitehall said the scheme was part of the government's commitment to "respond to the evolving threat in the most effective way we can".
But former counter terrorism advisor Col Richard Kemp told the Telegraph: "I think it's very much mistaken policy. "When you look at the profile of many of the people who have been involved in terrorist attacks in the UK, or travelled overseas, they do not come from deprived backgrounds. "If someone is inclined to be an extremist, you are not going to bribe them into not being a terrorist."
Terrorism expert Professor Anthony Glees told the Mail: "You can’t bribe people not to be terrorists."
Earlier this month, Max Hill QC, the UK's independent reviewer of terrorism laws, proposed trying to re-integrate "naive" teenagers who had travelled to Syria to fight for ISIS instead of prosecuting them. The proposals bear a similarity to Denmark's Aarhus model, a de-radicalisation programme that offers young people at risk of being radicalised a way back into society.
They are offered mentors, psychologists, activities and workshops aimed not just at teaching young people that extremism is wrong, but also given them ways to address their anger through dialogue instead of violence. [Graeme: By all means offer them all this - just intern them in a POW Camp before you start the process.]
This week, the parents of Jack Letts, a 21-year-old Muslim covert known as "Jihadi Jack", pleaded for his to be return to Britain after he was captured by Kurdish forces in Raqqa and charged with being a member of ISIS. John Letts and Sally Lane said their son, who has a history of mental illness, was initially treated well, but has suffered in recent months.
In letters sent home to his parents the prisoner denies being a Daesh member. [Graeme: Given the doctrine of Taqiyya and the obvious requirements of self-preservation we shouldn't really expect any other response should we?]
Last week it was revealed that ISIS deserter Shabazz Suleman, a former grammar school pupil from High Wycombe, wants to return home to face justice having become dissilusioned with the terror cell. He said in encrypted messages to The Times: "I no longer know who I am."
A Home Office spokeswoman said: “The Government is committed to doing everything possible to protect our communities from the threat of terrorism. "To respond to this threat, it is vital that we use all the means at our collective disposal to divert people away from terrorist-related activity and we are exploring the best ways of doing this with our partners. "We are also reviewing our counter terrorism strategy to make sure we respond to the evolving threat in the most effective way we can, both now and in the future.” [Graeme: Madam, this is not a step in the right direction. They laugh at attempts to buy them off - obeying Allah is of far greater importance than your temporal rewards.]
This week, British soldier Macer Gifford, who has fought ISIS for the past three years alongside Syrian Democratic Forces, warned letting jihadis return to the UK is like “inviting the wolf to dinner”.
“As someone who has been out here and seen what the Islamic State is like on the ground and what they have done to the people – this is a wake-up call and a warning to Britain,” he said. “The foreign fighters are actually by far the worst, and the most aggressive, most deranged of all the Islamic State fighters. “These are individuals who have had every opportunity to live a normal, happy life in Britain, America, France and other places. “Yet they’ve basically spat in the face of everything that we hold dear – our democracy, our shared values of secularism and multiculturalism. “They have gone to Syria to butcher, murder and rape people, to sell people into sexual slavery, and they tear up their passports as an act of defiance.”